Thursday, October 13, 2011

Journey to Cuenca ! 10/9/11


After leaving Quayaquil, we had about a 4 to 4 1/2 hour van ride to Cuenca!  It was a very interesting ride and many things to see along the way.  This picture is of a 'house' or 'hut' we saw many of these along the way (what seemed like out in the middle of nowhere... 


Foot Hills of the Andes !  I think pictures just do not do justice to how beautiful it is!!




Another view!

This is one of many sugar cane fields

This is a banana tree... There were several fields of them along the way.  Something interesting that I learned is- what we typcially perceive as the top of the banana is really the bottom because of the way it grows (wish I had a pciture of how they grow, I never really thought about how they grew, maybe I will have one at a later time). 


Gas Station that we stopped at!  Guess the price of gas!  They have people that fill your tank up for you..

As I mentioned we traveled through the Andes- We went up to about 13,500 ft then back down to about 8,400 ft.  Didnt feel to good on my head or ears! But it interesting.. there were many cows, chickens, horses, even a baby pig wondering in the road as we were driving.  (Driving here is nothing like in the States either...It is rather scary and I cant believe there is not more accidents.  People turn right in front of buses, dont stop at stop sign, constantly honk at each other, pass no passing zones, pass when cars are coming at you, etc...)  That will take some time getting used to (if I do at all, I would not want to drive here and I am thankful that I dont!!)




Hotel that we stayed at 10/9/11 - Cuenca's Country Side!! It was very beautiful and relaxing !! This is Blair and I - we roomed together the nights in the hotel ( I was not feeling very photogenic)



View from our hotel!  So pretty! Wish we could have stayed longer!


More to come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment