Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Fun Friday!

It is a little late but I thought I would share what our Halloween Fun Friday cconsisted of! 

Since the Primero (Kindergarten) Classroom spent so much time learning about pumpkins, songs, and colors during the month of October, Megan my cooperating teacher thought it would be fun to have the children decorate pumpkin sugar cookies!  In preparation for our fun Friday, the presholars (preschoolers) decorated little pumpkins and a Happy Halloween sign.  They then put colored noodles on a string (great fine motor activity) and then put there pumpkins on the string!  The end product- a colorful necklace! 
The Primero classroom made pumpkin headbands!  They used black paper and Halloween rub ons (also great fine motor activity) They then created a Jack O' Lantern to go in the middle of their head band!  The kids worked very hard while creating their headbands (better then I had anticipated)! 
We then joined together the two classroom and handed out sugar cookies to the children!  We gave them Orange frosting to decorate their pumpkin and then we had black frosting so they could create a face!  It was a lot of fun and the children seemed to really enjoy their Fun Friday (their was lots of laughs and giggles and children that were working hard)! 



As some of you may know that I normally do not believe in teaching themes with the children but things change when you have different types of children and are in a different country!  The thought process behind teaching in themes to the children at this age is that we are working on building vocabulary.   We do not necessarily plan everything around the them but things can be easily Incorporated such as learning about pumpkins!  The children were learning colors, sizes, shapes, textures, numerals, and so much more! 

Also once a week I lead a conversation group with three children from third grade!  The idea for the conversation group is to provide children with more opportunities to be exposed to English!  Last week I had my first group and to start things off we play Candy Land!  The children had to say the colors and the number of spaces they were moving in English!  I have to remind them to try to speak in English so we say things such as "My Turn and Your Turn" the children were super excited to play!  After the game I had the children draw a picture of their family and then we labeled the family members in English and in Spanish!   I have really enjoyed the two conversation groups that I have had so far! 

More to come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment